Question 7 - How we've improved after our Preliminary Task
After completing our preliminary task, and when planning our OTS, we realised that many of our shots were 'general' and mostly long shots. These shots lacked a meaning and often the action got lost within scenes full of non-associated items (as seen above). Therefore when creating our final OTS we made sure that the shots were clear and concise so that from the very beginning the shots conveyed the messages of our final opening sequence within them.
In both our preliminary task and our final opening title sequence we make use of close up shots. In our preliminary task, however, the shot was badly shot and edited meaning that it looked unprofessional. Since completing the task we have now learnt how to compose the shot properly and edit it so that the shot added to the story. To create the desired effect, in post edit, we darkened the shot using color corrector deciding to keep it full screen so that the audiences attention was focused.
When we completed our preliminary task we did not fully understand about camera work and as such did not shoot very successfully. In these shots, taken from our two tasks, you can see that in the preliminary task the camera moves too fast and not in time with the action. However, in our final opening title sequence, we have learnt how to properly use the camera and as such the shot is much smoother as well as being in time with the action occurring.
In terms of editing our work has improved a lot since we created our preliminary task due to our improved understanding of the software we used. During our preliminary task we took the stock film from the camera and pieced them together without adding anything different to the shots during the post edit. This is in comparison with our final media product which, after studying Final Cut Express, we edited together using layers, color correction and split screening technology (as seen above).
In conclusion since completing our initial preliminary task our knowledge in using different shots and techniques in the post edit stage has left our original piece unrecognisable. Our final opening sequence shows, in terms of shots, a well thought out and filmed piece taking into consideration many of the conventions of media. This coupled with our break with convention through our post edit stage by using split screening, rarely seen in horror, shows how we have taken and built upon our pre-existing knowledge.